I’m not a big fan of external batteries. They are large, have little capacity and are often dangerous enough to rely on to charge an iPhone or electronic device. That’s why I’ve always preferred to carry a charger with me and hope to find a place to find it. However, when I saw that the mophie powerstation USB-C XXL had the size of an iPhone 8 Plus and the ability to charge even a laptop , I rethought things.
mophie powerstation USB-C XXL is the external battery from the most beastly of all accessory manufacturers. With its 19,500 mAh the only thing you can think of is devices to plug in to drain it. The plus point? That those 19,500 mAh don’t translate into a heavy brick, but rather a battery the approximate size of an iPhone in the Plus model, covered with a pleasant fabric to touch.
Features of the mophie powerstation USB-C XXL
There are a number of noteworthy features in this universal external battery in addition to its large capacity. mophie is a manufacturer of accessories that has always excelled in the field of external batteries. Both universal and adapted to cases for the iPhone or other devices. For this reason, their batteries are often focused on providing quality and technology that improves compatibility and safety when charging a product.
Aspects to be taken into account:
- The battery has two connections, one USB-C and one USB-A. This allows you to charge both devices at once (or more if you have an adapter), such as a MacBook via the USB-C connection and an iPhone via the USB-A connection with a Lightning cable.
- It has a fast charge of up to 15W, so yes, you can take advantage of the fast charge on the latest iPhone.
- A technology called Priority+, detects if the battery is connected to the power and there is a device connected to the battery. In this case it will first charge the device and then itself.
- It also features mophie’s adaptive charging, which allows it to detect the connected device to deliver the recommended power and not overload it. Of course, you’ll avoid overloads, short circuits or high temperatures.
- It has four LED indicators for the remaining battery and also indicates if the battery is being charged.
- Finally, the fabric that covers the battery is especially noteworthy. It seems silly, but the fact that it is not a battery covered in plastic or aluminum, gives the feeling that you have in your hands something that is not a simple jalopy that you should carry with you.
Everything you can charge with the mophie powerstation USB-C XXL
With the advent of USB-C on MacBooks from Cupertino, they decided to leave their proprietary MagSafe technology behind in favor of a more universal standard. This not only brings improvements in speed and accessory compatibility, but also allows third-party companies to manufacture MacBook-compatible cables and charging accessories . Before this, it wasn’t possible to charge a MacBook with an external battery, but with the advent of USB-C, things have changed.
And that’s not all you can charge – any accessory that has a USB-A or USB-C charger cable and doesn’t require more than 30W. The 19,500 mAh capacity of the mophie powerstation USB-C XXL gives you plenty of power:
- 12.9″ iPad Pro: 10,891 mAh
- MacBook: 5,260 mAh
- iPad: 8,827 mAh
- iPhone X: 2,716 mAh
That means a full charge for the mophie powerstation USB-C XXL gives you a full charge for your MacBook, iPad, and iPhone – and you still have power to spare. Or, as in my case, you can take your battery with you on a trip and not have to charge it for several days, because there’s enough capacity to charge your iPhone without worrying about it running out .
Does the mophie powerstation USB-C XXL compensate?
The mophie powerstation USB-C XXL has a sales price of 139.95 euros in the Apple Store and 149.95 euros in the official mophie store. Not that it’s exactly cheap if you don’t look at features or look only at capacity. However, there are more details to consider, such as MFi technology and certification, its small size or the look that it is covered with fabric.
If you travel or work with a MacBook normally, this mophie powerstation USB-C XXL can be the ideal complement . It has more than enough capacity and its shape and design factor means that transporting it is not a hassle, so you don’t have to be embarrassed to put it on the table while you’re charging your device. Finally, having mophie’s guarantee, technology and knowledge behind you is a factor that not all batteries can boast.
The mophie powerstation USB-C XX has been released for testing by mophie. Please see our corporate relations policy.