One of the most important aspects of working with a computer is to be clear about what you are spending your time on. Separating work from leisure is difficult if the same tool provides both aspects. This becomes even more complicated if we have to prove to our boss or client that we have been working the required hours. In this sense, the apps to count the time are ideal , although almost all of them have the same defect: you have to indicate manually when you are working.
There are however some applications that do this automatically, as we saw at the time, Qbserve is perfect to install and forget about it, as it monitors all our activities and classifies them by category. Today we go a step further with Timing 2, an app that also automatically monitors our activity on the Mac, but does it in a much more detailed and advanced way .
An advanced app, for those who work with the Mac
What makes Timing special besides the ease it gives you to categorize time in front of the computer is its advanced monitoring system. This may be scary at first, but don’t worry, your data is your data, and nothing is shared outside of the Mac. Timing 2 will record which websites you visit, which documents you open, which folders you work in , and how you spend your time on your Mac. You can even add what you did while you were away from your computer.
You can create all the projects that interest you and assign each folder, document, app or web to a project.
By default, Timing 2 categorizes the most popular apps for macOS according to what they are for, including web pages . So you have a number of projects by default such as leisure, productivity, office or maintenance. It also intelligently assigns labels to each activity, for example if you open a document and title it “iPhone X Design” it will label that activity as “design” and categorize it as Office and Documents.
But it doesn’t stop there, because you can create as many projects as you want in as many folders as you want and with as many subfolders as you need. Let’s say you start a university project about managing franchises in Spain. All you have to do is create a project “Franchise management in Spain” in the folder “Business Administration” which can be found in the folder “University”. You add some more data such as labels or colours and that’s it. Everything you do with your first drag there will be categorized in this project.
Timing 2 monitors how you’ve been using your Mac minute by minute.
What is this for? So that at the end of the project you know how much time you’ve spent on it. Even if you want to, you can generate a report indicating the hours spent, the apps used, the dates or whatever you want. For freelancers this is like touching the sky.
A productive app, which helps you to improve
As the days, weeks, and months go by we can see in context how we spend our time in front of the computer . Timing 2 has a productivity index assigned to each app. Thanks to this it is able to define your productivity in front of the Mac and thus learn curious details:
Here you can see (green graph in the middle) for example how my productivity goes down throughout the day with a slight rise after the midday meal.
- What times of day are you most productive?
- On what days of the week you’re most productive.
- Which apps or websites make you waste more time.
- Your average productivity in a given period.
- What projects you spend the most time on.
Here it is interesting to note that we do not all have the same needs and use apps and websites equally. For example, for you entering Apple.com is a “distractive” activity, but for me it is “productive”. That’s why Timing 2 allows us to configure the productivity rate of each app or web page . This means that if for example we assign 25% productivity to QuickTime it means that approximately 25% of the time we spend in QuickTime is watching some video for work, while the remaining 75% is usually movies or other leisure things.
Is it worth buying Timing 2?
Timing is an app developed by Daniel Alm, a former Google worker who left his job to make an app to easily count our time. The app has become indispensable for many people , and it is largely due to how it is and how tremendously useful it is.
The dream of every freelancer is these reports.
Timing 2 has three different versions for 29 euros, 49 euros and 79 euros. Each one has certain characteristics obviously. My advice is to decide which features you need in your day to day life and choose the best option. In my case for example is the version for 49 euros. On the other hand, Timing 2 is available on Setapp, the app service for less than 10 euros a month.
You’re not convinced? There is a trial version so you can get to know the program before you buy it. Download the demo and after using the app for a few days you’ll understand what I mean when I say you understand what you’re spending your time on in front of the computer.