This bug known as “Ghost Keyboard” seems to be immune to iOS updates. It is true that it only affects new iPhones, however it is a bug that seems to be present in iOS since version 11 of the operating system.
A new reddit thread has tried to release this bug by which there seems to be a ghost keyboard on the iPhone with Face ID. The keyboard doesn’t really appear, but it’s there because if you press on the keys they are highlighted in big letters.
It is true that this is not a very annoying bug as it only appears under certain circumstances, this is what you have to do to try to reproduce the “iOS ghost keyboard” error:
- The first thing is to have an iPhone with Face ID.
- You must have an alphanumeric password as your unlock code, it does not work with the typical number only password.
- Once iPhone unlocks you with Face ID, as long as it’s not “an instant unlock”, your face is out of sight and it takes a second or two to unlock and the Home screen appears, if you tap quickly you’ll see the “ghost keyboard” error.
- The reddit user says that it only appears 70% of the time and that it is a bug that is there from iOS 11.
- It also says that it has reported this error more than 10 times to Apple and that it has failed to fix it.
I personally have tried to reproduce it and succeeded on the vast majority of occasions, so I can confirm that it is a bug that is also present in the latest iOS 13.4 beta . Hopefully Apple will finally realize this iOS bug and fix it, I never realized this error before, but it’s true that I don’t use an alphanumeric code.