Skip to content

Study supports Apple Watch as a tool for diagnosing sleep apnea and hypertension

SleepHealth es la primera aplicación de ResearchKit que colabora con investigaciones de sanidad

It’s not new that the Apple Watch is being used largely for medical research, HealthKit and ResearchKit are there for that very purpose. But it’s always surprising to see all the advances that are being made with the watch. A new study resulting from Cardiogram’s efforts has shown that the Apple Watch can be useful in diagnosing sleep apnea and hypertension in patients.

Study supports Apple Watch as a tool for diagnosing sleep apnea and hypertension
Study supports Apple Watch as a tool for diagnosing sleep apnea and hypertension

The study was done with 6115 participants in California, all of whom had an Apple Watch on their wrist. Broadly speaking, the study has benefited from an automatic learning algorithm called DeepHeart to diagnose these ailments in patients who did not even know they had them.

The idea has been to collect data from 70% of the participants using their Apple Watch, and then run it through that algorithm. The result has allowed the diagnosis of sleep apnea and hypertension effectively to the remaining 30% of participants, just by looking at their data and without passing them through any algorithm.

Sleep apnea has been diagnosed with 90% effectiveness and hypertension, which affects hundreds of millions of people worldwide, with 82% effectiveness. These are ailments that, if not well treated, can lead to heart attacks and cardiovascular disease.

The traditional method of diagnosing sleep apnea involves sleeping in a hospital tied to machines that don’t exactly make the experience comfortable, so the advantage of doing it with just an Apple Watch is more than obvious.

At Apple