Apple Blog

Samsung could produce the A9 chip for the iPhone 6s in the US

It’s no surprise to read this rumor and we’ve been hearing the same thing for years with every new version of the iPhone. Apparently, Apple may once again entrust Samsung with the manufacture of SoCs for its next smartphone, the iPhone 6s .

According to the rumor, Samsung could be the manufacturer of 75% of the chips for the next iPhone. What is not clear is which manufacturer would be responsible for producing the remaining 25 %, although it can be assumed that it would be one of the companies usually trusted by Apple.

Samsung could produce the A9 chip for the iPhone 6s in the US
Samsung could produce the A9 chip for the iPhone 6s in the US

It is known that Cupertino’s company has long wanted to stop depending on Samsung in this way, although so far they have not been able to eliminate this dependence. There may be several reasons for this, but the one that seems to carry the most weight is that there is no other company capable of satisfying the enormous mass of production required by Apple’s mobile devices . Demand is constantly growing and the Californian firm has to produce more and more units.

The rumor published by Maeil Business Newspaper, a South Korean newspaper, also states that Samsung will manufacture the chip for the iPhone 6s in the United States , specifically in the plant that the company has in Austin (Texas) and that the name of the chip would be A9, something that does not surprise us in the least.

We can’t say for sure that this will be fulfilled to the letter, but considering that Apple has been depending on Samsung for the manufacture of its chips for a lot of years, we wouldn’t find it strange if they continued the “tradition”.

What we don’t see so clearly is that Samsung can do the production of the chip on American soil. The production costs would be higher, which could increase the cost of the final product, although Apple really has the capacity to assume this cost. Will we see the company move to the US, even indirectly, the production of another of its products?

Similar Posts