Apple Blog

more state-of-the-art iPhone, less switchers in the US

Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) has just published the result of its survey on iPhone purchase in the USA. The study focuses on the 30 days after its launch in this country and has involved 300 Apple customers. The results shown in the study are quite interesting in view of the performance of the new terminal of the company of the apple.

More state-of-the-art iPhone, more Plus models

CIRP has analyzed the 30 days of release of the last three generations of iPhone. In 2014, the iPhone mix sold consisted of 91% of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, with the remaining 9% divided between the iPhone 5s and 5c. During 2015, that percentage dropped significantly to 71%, with 29% split between the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and 6 Plus.

more state-of-the-art iPhone, less switchers in the US
more state-of-the-art iPhone, less switchers in the US

However, in this generation, sales have once again revolved around the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. 73% of users surveyed chose these models , a slight increase of 2% over the previous year. The difference in these three years is that users are opting for a higher proportion of Plus models.

In 2014, only a quarter of them chose the iPhone 6 Plus. But the following year, almost a third chose the iPhone 6 Plus or 6s Plus. In 2016, this proportion is lower than in 2015, but higher than in 2014. It should be noted that this year we have the presence of the iPhone SE, which has attracted quite a lot of attention among buyers.

Since Apple stopped reporting its sales during the first weekend, there are still a few months left to know its financial results. The final effect on the average sales price as well as on the margins is not yet clear as there are too many variables involved. The iPhone SE should push the average selling price down, but the greater proportion of Plus handsets would do the same but in the opposite direction.

Lower switcher ratio

CIRP has also analysed the origin of iPhone buyers in these 30 days . The proportion is as follows:

  • Year 2014: 82% iPhone users, 12% Android users, 6% other systems or first smartphone
  • Year 2015: 69% iPhone users, 26% Android users, 5% other systems or first smartphone
  • Year 2016: 80% iPhone users, 17% Android users, 3% other systems or first smartphone

The increase in Android switchers compared to 2014 is significant , but it cannot be ignored that it is also a significant drop when looking at the 2015 figure. Apple has regularly announced that it is attracting more and more users from other platforms. This is an important variable for the growth of iOS, as it is its main competitor in terms of high-end users.

Android’s switcher share is falling, but the important thing is the growth of the platform in absolute terms

As for other platforms, it is clear that their poor track record means that this growth path will diminish even further in the future. The same is true for people who have never had a smartphone before: as the years go by, the number will decrease.

Análisis iPhone 7 Plus, el futuro anticipado.

Despite this, we must not forget that we are talking about percentages and not absolute numbers . The final balance that really matters is the growth of the platform. That today there are more users than yesterday and less than tomorrow. But not at any price, since Apple is concentrating on the highest part of the market.

At Apple

Similar Posts