As we said recently, little by little Apple Maps has started to gain more ground in the field of mobile map services . The application has focused its efforts on continuing to release new features and therefore recently released an update offering support for Flyover to 29 new cities around the world.
It is always good to have an idea of what the applications we have installed on our iPhone are, what they are for and of course, give them a chance, because maybe we can get a nice surprise. That’s why today we want to share some tips with you so that you can get the most out of Apple Maps and learn about the benefits that this app can offer you.
- When you’re walking: We don’t always use our smartphone maps just for car travel. Sometimes we need a guide to get to a place on foot, and at this point Apple Maps can be very useful. Just change the map view, put it on satellite and you’ll have a better idea of what the road looks like or what places you’ll see before you get to your route.
- Learn how to use ‘Flyover’: As we mentioned at the beginning of this post, Apple Maps has a function called ‘Flyover’ that allows us to visit different cities in three dimensions. This feature can be very useful, especially if we are planning to travel to some of the cities where it is available and we want to visit them from a bird’s eye view to have a better idea of how they look like.
- Send addresses from your Mac to your iPhone: If you’re making an inquiry on your Mac about where you want to go tonight, there’s no need to type the address into your phone’s ‘Notes’ letter by letter. Apple Maps makes it easy to send the address to your iOS device. Just have the same iCloud account on all your computers, tap the share tab, and send it to your iPhone, where you’ll be notified.
- Siri within reach of your maps: Of course we can’t leave out our voice assistant, which can get us out of trouble while we’re driving and we can’t get our iPhone in our hands. Just ask Siri to tell us how to get to a certain destination, and the assistant will give us directions using Maps. It is also possible to ask her to help us find a place near our location.
- Maps Voice Volume Preferences: When driving, it’s good to get speakerphone recommendations for routes on Apple Maps, but if we’re walking and don’t have our hands free with us, it can get pretty uncomfortable. That’s why, in the map settings, you can set whether you want that voice to sound high, low, or if you want to turn it off completely to avoid discomfort when walking.
- Get to know the most popular apps of the place: This option can be very useful especially when we are travelling in a city we don’t know and we want to know more about its culture. Just click on the destination you’re going to, and you’ll see the iOS apps that are most used by people near your location.
In the last months we have known all the news that iOS 10 will bring and of course, Apple Maps was not left behind. The latest version of iOS will now integrate features from different apps so that users can for example make reservations or request an Uber without leaving the mapping app.
In addition, in iOS 10 Apple Maps will start suggesting places you should visit and will also allow you to search for places of interest that are on your route , a very similar theme to the one currently in Google Maps. For CarPlay there is also news as Maps will now extend the navigation directly to the car dashboard.
If you have further tips on how to take advantage of Apple Maps or other iOS mapping applications, we look forward to your recommendations and feedback in our feedback area .