Apple Blog

iPhone 8 Plus outperforms iPhone 8 as it hovers in the shadow of iPhone X

The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are, until a few weeks from now, the last Apple handsets on the market. As the days go by, the first estimates of adoption of these new devices among users are now beginning to emerge. One of the most reliable is provided by the company Mixpanel, which has analysed their adoption rate.

The company’s analysis focuses on iOS users who install one of the apps with its analytics system . It is not exhaustive , but it helps us to get an idea of which terminal is having more success among Apple customers. And the results are a winner: the iPhone 8 Plus.

iPhone 8 Plus: Attractive camera and smooth manufacturing

iPhone 8 Plus outperforms iPhone 8 as it hovers in the shadow of iPhone X
iPhone 8 Plus outperforms iPhone 8 as it hovers in the shadow of iPhone X

The results can be seen in the graph above. During the 19 days that the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus have been on sale, this has been the percentage movement at the beginning and end of the period:

  • iPhone 8: 0.22% on the first day; 0.91% on the last day
  • iPhone 8 Plus: 0.32% on the first day; 1.27% on the last day

A calculation between the percentage pairs indicates that iPhone 8 accounts for about two-thirds of iPhone 8 Plus adoption. In other words, approximately 40% of the new generation handsets activated and detected by Mixpanel correspond to iPhone 8. The other 60% is taken by the iPhone 8 Plus. And what happened in 2016?

Similarly, last year’s data show a much higher adoption rate for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus as a whole. For the same first 19 days, the breakdown was as follows :

  • iPhone 7: 1.36% on the first day; 4.45% on the last day
  • iPhone 7 Plus: 0.29% on the first day; 1.94% on the last day

Although these are percentages, last year’s adoption of iPhone 7 and 7 Plus was significantly faster

The first thing to note is that in September 2016, Apple did not correctly estimate the demand for the iPhone 7 Plus. Many users opted for this model and demand pushed deliveries several weeks back as the iPhone 7 weathered the “storm” with better fortune . In other words, the adoption of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus was distorted by a lack of production and did not stabilize until several months later.

In any case, users’ interest in the photographic capabilities and larger screen of the Plus models has turned this generation around. Thanks to a better estimate of demand (and a demand that is likely to be lower this year), many users are betting on the computerized photography of the iPhone 8 Plus.

The Shadow of the iPhone X

So far we’ve talked about the adoption rate of terminals. What these percentages cannot tell us is what sales each new-generation iPhone model has had . Looking at the initial adoption percentages it is tempting to say that last year’s generation sold much faster.

Para Jony Ive, el iPhone X es un nuevo capítulo en la historia del smartphone.

According to KGI Securities, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus have had “stable, not weak demand” in their first weekend of availability. The study refers to the shortage of queues at Apple stores around the world to purchase the new terminals. Something that Apple itself has argued is due to the transfer of queues to the company’s online ordering system .

Many users are waiting for the launch of iPhone X, a wait that will impact sales in the quarter

In any case, we can say that both terminals are in the shadow of iPhone X. It is very likely that sales will be lower than last year. Many users will be waiting until November to have the iPhone that debuts the concept of smartphone that Apple has for the next ten years.

This will undoubtedly have an impact on Apple’s sales and results, which we won’t see until November 2nd (one day before the official launch of iPhone X). Until then, we won’t know how important that impact will be. Although if we look at the bottom of this issue, Apple might not mind too much losing some sales now if in the end it’s because a user is waiting for iPhone X in a few weeks.

At Apple

Similar Posts