Yesterday Apple presented a new model of iPad Pro that replaces the model launched in October 2018. For some unknown reason Apple decided not to present this model in 2019 and has waited until the beginning of this 2020 to launch its new iPad Pro, maybe some of the important new features that it includes have caused it.
However, if you’re thinking about buying an iPad Pro, or upgrading your model, the question of which model to choose will be on your mind. That’s why here’s a comparison between the iPad Pro in 2018 and the new iPad Pro in 2020 to make a clear difference.
The two iPad Pro models are very similar, they have practically the same exterior design, but there are many small changes that come with the new model designed for the future that Apple has planned, especially related to augmented reality.
The design of the new iPad Pro remains virtually unchanged. We’ve kept the same sizes , 247.6 millimeters high, 178.5 millimeters wide, and 5.9 millimeters thick for the 11-inch model and 280.6 millimeters high, 214.9 millimeters wide, and 5.9 millimeters thick for the 12.9.
Both models use aluminium as the main material for the body of the device and a screen with hardly any frames in the front area. With the exception of the camera’s rear module, both designs are virtually identical in terms of their exterior design.
This is where we have the main differences between the two iPad Pro models, apart from the rear camera. Apple has updated the internal specifications and the changes are relevant:
- Processor. The 2018 iPad Pro uses the A12 X Bionic and the 2020 iPad Pro uses the new A12Z Bionic. At first glance it doesn’t seem like a big leap, but Apple has upgraded the processor to be more powerful and to enhance the augmented reality features.
- RAM memory. The 2018 iPads had 4GB of RAM except for the most expensive model with 1TB of memory. In the 2020 iPad Pro all models have 6GB of RAM.
- Internal storage. Base storage for the lower-cost model has increased from 64GB in the 2018 iPad Pro to 128GB in the 2020 iPad Pro, which is now available in 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB options.
- Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi technology has enhanced the new iPad Pro 2020 to support Wi-Fi 6.
- U1 chip. The new iPad 2020 includes the U1 chip that is also found in the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro that allows you to locate devices faster.
Another great new feature of the new iPad Pro from 2020, Apple has created a new camera module that is unique, at least for now, to the new iPad Pro. Apple is committed to augmented reality and this iPad Pro is the first device to include a dedicated sensor on the back. The 2018 iPad Pro had a single 12-megapixel sensor , the new 2020 has a module consisting of:
- 12 megapixel main sensor
- 10 megapixel ultra wide angle sensor.
- LiDAR sensor capable of scanning the environment in 3D and detecting distances up to 5 meters
Magic Keyboard and trackpad
One of the big surprises no doubt announced yesterday is the advanced mouse and trackpad support for the new iPad Pro. But best of all this support is enabled on all iPads with iPadOS 13.4 , so anyone can enjoy it.
In addition, the new Magic Keyboard with built-in trackpad on the iPad Pro 2020 will also be compatible with the iPad Pro in 2018, so in this matter the two devices are matched.
As we see the main change between both models is in the rear sensor with the new camera module, it may not seem important now, but soon many augmented reality applications will need that new LiDAR to work properly . If you’re not interested, though, it might be a great time to buy iPad Pro 2018 when the price drops.