If we do a Google search by starting to type “iPad” , the third search suggestion offered by the search engine is ” iPad 2 “. It seems therefore, as it cannot be otherwise, that between now and the release of the second version of the Apple tablet, we will find more and more information and rumours about the new iPad on the net.
Until that day we will not know the exact characteristics of the new device, but we can sense how it will be and what new features it will bring with respect to the current version.
While the iPad has been a revolutionary product that, like the iPod, opened up a new range of computer products, with the second version of the tablet we will see an evolution in the concept beyond a new revolution.
More than half a year after its launch, the iPad still has no rivals (it holds 95% market share in tablets). But that doesn’t mean that the scenario can’t change in several quarters. Especially with the appearance of some miniature copies like the Samsung Galaxy Tab , with operating system Android , or with the presentation of the future product of RIM , the Blackberry PlayBook .
As the iPad is the largest of the devices using the iOS operating system (the same as the iPhone and the iPod Touch ), we can sense some of the improvements Apple will offer us on iPad 2. This is because the new features that appear in one of them are generally implemented in the following versions of the rest of iOS devices.
We may be wrong, but it’s easy to conclude that some of the biggest new features of the future iPad 2 will be
- Display: One of the biggest innovations of iPhone 4 was the use of the Retina Display, which has a resolution of 960 x 640 pixels and a density of 326 pixels per inch. iPhone 3GS had “only” a resolution of 480-by-320 pixels and a density of 163 pixels per inch. The leap in quality was remarkable. Based on pixel density, the human eye can only distinguish about 300 pixels per inch. The iPad currently has a density of 132 pixels per inch. Therefore, it is not difficult to imagine that the next generation of the iPad could get close to 300 pixels, more than enough for the distance to the eye with which it is used.
- Cameras: Apple has decided to make its new FaceTime video calling system as popular as possible. Since its presentation in May on the iPhone 4, it has already been implemented on the iPod Touch and on the entire Mac range. It is therefore logical to think that the iPad 2 could be equipped with a front camera for making video calls. In addition, it is almost certain that a rear camera will be installed to take photos, record video and encourage the emergence of applications based on augmented reality. On the iPhone and iPod Touch it is 5 megapixel and has flash, possibly the iPad 2 uses the same.
- Processor: The iPad introduced a new generation of 1GHz ARM A4 processors manufactured by Apple itself and which have also been integrated into the iPhone 4. The performance improvement over the iPhone 3G and 3GS has been immense. But with the emergence of applications (especially games) with higher graphic requirements, it is possible that this processor receives an upgrade, either in speed (up to 1.5 GHz) or architecture (dual core).
- Sensors: The current accelerometers, digital compass, GPS (on the iPad 3G), and light sensor will surely be joined by the gyroscopes introduced on iPhone 4, which will make the movements of the device more precise.
- Weight and design: probably won’t change much, the back should still be metal in the style of the new MacBook Air and the rest of MacBook Pro, and the weight, while it would be nice to see it lighten, will make it difficult to find noticeable improvements.
- Connections: the appearance of a USB connection is practically ruled out. The nature of the iOS operating system means that no more devices need to be connected than those offered by Apple, and the lack of the ability to use pen drives will continue to be met by “cloud” storage services through MobileMe or similar. There is also talk of a new 30-pin connector to attach to the iPad when it is placed in widescreen format.
- Versions and prices: the three models of 16, 32 and 64 GB will possibly continue to be offered with the Wifi and Wifi + 3G versions at the same price as the current ones. It remains to be seen whether they will maintain any of the current versions as an iPad entry option in the style of what is currently done with the 8GB iPhone 3GS.
When will it be on sale? That’s the biggest question. Rumors have already surfaced that the ads for the new iPad 2 may already have been recorded in New York . Never before Christmas, when Apple expects to sell a large number of units of the current iPad. There is information that it could be presented in January and go on sale in the first quarter of next year .
And you? If you’re thinking of buying an iPad, would you do it now or are the possible new features on iPad 2 enough to wait?