One of the new features that Apple has introduced in watchOS 5 is the Walkie-Talkie application . Another way to communicate between Apple Watch users, who can now send each other instant voice messages at the touch of a button.
If previously users of Apple Watch could send written messages or dictations, touches, drawings and even their heartbeat, with this new version, Apple improves the way we communicate with a team that is gradually “becoming independent” of the iPhone. But what is this new Walkie-Talkie function really and how is it used?
The new Walkie-Talkie application included in watchOS 5 is based on the PTT PoC (Push to Talk Over Cellular) protocol. A communication system that uses the GSM data network instead of the radio (as traditional walkie talkies do), where one person talks, while the others listen. This communication technology is not new, as it was introduced in the USA in the early 1990s by Motorola StarTACs and their PTT function, which in the same way as Walkie-Talkie now does, used the network to send voice messages thus reducing data consumption when rates were not “flat”.
On Apple, the watchOS 5 Walkie-Talkie feature is a FaceTime audio “disguise” that brings privacy to the table
Apple has decided to improve and include such technology in its more personal computers supported by its audio FaceTime and the new LTE data connections. Improving and streamlining the way Apple Watch users communicate with their contacts.
How to add contacts to the Walkie-Talkie in the Apple Watch
The first thing to keep in mind to use the Walkie-Talkie application of the Apple Watch, is that we must have installed the latest version of watchOS 5 and a compatible Apple Watch (bad news for those of you who have an Apple Watch Series 0).
- We then click on the Digital Crown to see all the applications of our Apple Watch and look for the Walkie-Talkie application.
- Once we open it, we will see a list with all the contacts in our agenda and the suggestions with those who have a compatible equipment.
- We click on the name of the contact we want to send them an invitation and wait for them to accept, which we will know because it will change the color of the box or folder from gray to yellow.
How to send a message using Walkie-Talkie in the Michael Knight style
- Once you have a contact added within the Walkie-Talkie application, you just need to select it from the contact list to start a conversation.
- Once the contact is selected, the “Talk” button will appear, which we must press and hold while we record our message, and release to send it.
- Immediately our contact will receive the message in his Apple Watch and he can answer us or wait to see if they send him another message.
Deleting Walkie-Talkie contacts in the Apple Watch
If adding a contact to the Walkie-Talkie application is very simple, removing it could not be otherwise.
- In the main screen of the Walkie-Talkie you just have to slide to the left the contact you want to remove.
- When doing so, the typical delete button will appear.
- Click on the “X” and the contact will be removed from the Walkie-Talkie application until we send you another request to add it.
How to temporarily disconnect messages on Walkie Talkie
In case we want to stop receiving messages via the Walkie-Talkie application , there is a setting or Switch within the application itself which will temporarily cut off communication with our contacts. A kind of “Do not disturb” mode specific to Walkie-Talkie, which we can activate and deactivate as we please.
On AppleWalkie-Talkie on watchOS 5: a fun new way to communicate with the Apple Watch
To access this availability setting we must slide down in the main screen of Walkie-Talkie, which will show this new button that we can activate and deactivate when we want.
If you have turned off the “Available” mode and someone tries to send us a message via the Walkie-Talkie application, they will receive a warning that we are not available at the moment, and we will receive a pop-up message informing us that they have tried to contact us in case we want to reactivate the service.
The Walkie-Talkie application is a change in the way we communicate using the Apple Watch. An application that we will surely see evolving in future versions of the operating system and that will allow us the possibility of creating groups of contacts with which to communicate immediately by pressing a single button . Over and out!