A few hours ago Apple revealed the features of the renewed iOS 12 , and as is now traditional, the first beta of this new generation of the operating system for iPhone and iPad has been released for developers. But even if you are not an official developer you can still try out this beta. But you must be an adventurer because we are talking about a beta that is very unstable and may be plagued by bugs that would make it much more difficult to work with your mobile device.
Before venturing out to install this beta on your compatible device, I invite you to read the post where we have commented on all the new features presented at the WWDC 2018 opening conference. If you think the news is worth it, keep reading this post.
Caution, iOS 12 may not be stable
We must insist on the concept that this beta is not for the general public but is focused on developers whose mission is to track the bugs in the programming of this version and finally end up polishing beta after beta so that by September we all have a stable version (unlike what we saw with iOS 11).
That’s why we are not responsible for the damage that this first beta may cause to your terminal, since we always recommend not to install it if you are not a developer or if you do, it is in a secondary device.
Step 1: Make a backup
Obviously before performing such an important operation on our iPhone or iPad that can end up hindering its performance and forcing us to respect the device, it is logical to think that we should make a backup of all the information on our device. To do this we will take the following steps:
- Go to Settings from your iPhone or iPad.
- If we are in iOS 11, we must hit the top tab where we have our data.
- We will go to the “iCloud” option
- We will scroll down until we find the “iCloud Copy” option.
- Click on “Backup Now” and the backup process will begin.
This process can obviously also be done from your Mac, by connecting your iPhone or iPad to your computer and going to iTunes to make the corresponding backup . After making this backup, we can do an installation of iOS 12 with more peace of mind.
We move on to install iOS 12
If you are an Apple developer this process is relatively simple as the corresponding profile is already available on Apple’s dedicated developer portal . Specifically it is beta.apple.com/profile, where we will find this profile that we will download and install on our iPhone or iPad. After a restart we’ll have Settings> Software Update where we’ll be able to update it immediately.
If you are not a developer , you should follow the steps below:
- Go to this link from the Safari browser on your iPhone or iPad.
- Follow the steps that are marked accepting the certificate, for which you will have to enter your access code.
- Reboot your iPhone or iPad as required on the device itself.
- Once the device is rebooted we will go to Settings , General , Software Update, where you will see the first iOS 12 beta.
Please note that the servers will currently be overloaded after requiring so many downloads simultaneously and that is why the download process will be much slower, so make sure you have your device connected to the charger and to a stable internet network, and above all, be prepared to wait a long time.
If you don’t want to install this developer profile, in case you don’t trust it, although we assure you that it won’t introduce anything strange in your device, you will only have to wait for the public beta program. This would be the best option if you are not a developer, as it is released when there are no very serious bugs in the developer version.
However, we will have to wait until July to be able to sign up for this public betas program, because first we have to polish up a lot of bugs in the developer version, so that you don’t have any problems with your device.
If you are interested in enrolling in this public betas program, the process is as follows:
- Go from Safari on your iPhone or iPad to the dedicated Safari website.
- We will click on Sign Up and register with our Apple ID.
- Once the public beta is available in July, we will see the profile and the possibility to download it by clicking on “Download Profile”.
- After downloading it we must install it following the instructions that will be provided and after rebooting the device we can install it.
We are already installing this beta on our devices to be able to test all the new features that have been planned for WWDC 2018. In the coming days you will have both on the web and on the YouTube channel, our first impressions with this beta and especially if we think it is interesting to try them or without news that go quite unnoticed.
We must remember that this is a first beta and that during the remaining months of development many of these features that we see today will vary because everything depends on the feed back that we give both users and developers themselves. Hopefully the final result we’ll see in September with the new iPhone X will be much better than the one we saw with iOS 11 last year.
Leave us in the comment box what you think of this renewed iOS 12.