Apple has never allowed any app in the App Store that would allow this, but with the arrival of iOS 11 they have decided to incorporate this feature into the operating system itself. I am talking about the possibility of video recording the screen of iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch from the device itself , without the need to connect it to a computer or similar.
This new option comes in the form of a new icon within the Control Center, a place that has perhaps kept many people from finding out about their arrival at the devices, but very convenient when starting new screen recordings.
Would you like to be able to videotape what’s happening on your iPhone or iPad screen? Here are the instructions to get it .
The first thing you have to do to use this new feature of iOS is to make the Record Screen button appear in the Control Center. To do this, the steps are as follows:
- Go to Settings – Control Center – Customize Controls. If Screen Recording appears in the Include area you should not do anything, otherwise continue with point 2.
- Activate the Screen Recording option by tapping on the green icon with the + symbol.
Starting video recording from an iOS device screen
Once the device is configured to show the screen recording button in the Control Center you can make use of the feature.
To start a recording you must:
- Slide your finger from bottom to top of the screen to reveal the Control Center (for iPhone X, you must slide your finger from the upper-right corner of the screen down).
- Tap on the screen recording icon (it is an icon with two circles, one inside the other).
- A countdown will begin and when it reaches zero the recording will start automatically.
From this moment on, until you stop recording, everything you do with your iDevice will be recorded and saved in a video that you can see inside the Photos app.
Record iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch screen video with ambient audio or voice
If in addition to capturing video from the iOS device you also want to record ambient audio or add a voice, you can do so by activating the device’s own microphone. To do this you must do the following:
- Deploy the Control Center of the device.
- Tap the screen recording icon if your device has 3D Touch or keep your finger on the icon for a moment.
- Tap on the microphone icon that you will see appearing on the screen. It will turn red to indicate that it is active (the text just below the icon will also indicate this).
- Tap on Start Recording.
This way, your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch will save everything that happens on the device as video with audio, and you can add your voice over or ambient sound if you prefer. A little hidden function, but very useful if you are dedicated to make tutorials, you like to record games to mobile or similar games.
Stop video recording on the screen
When the recording is running you will see that the status bar (where the clock, coverage indicator, etc, etc… appears) of the device appears in red . This indicates that the recording is unmistakably in progress and if you want to stop it you have these options:
- Touch the red status bar and confirm the completion of the recording in the window that opens.
- Unfold the Control Center again and tap on the screen recording button.
- Locks the device to stop recording immediately.
After the recording, the iPhone or iPad will tell you that you can now see the video of the recording in the Photos app of the device itself and you will have the recording available for editing from the Photos app itself or using a specialised app such as iMovie or of course to share it directly on any social network, web, contact, etc, etc…
Easy and very useful, don’t you think?
On TodoAppleBlog : How to videotape the iPhone and iPad screen on a Mac with QuickTime