Apple TVs are often the great unknown. To a greater or lesser extent, we all know how to handle systems like the iPhone’s iOS, but in tvOS we find substantial differences that make not all processes simple however easy they may seem. That’s why in this post we tell you how you can remove, move and hide apps on your Apple TV.
Move apps and create folders
If you haven’t been able to move apps so far, you’ll have checked how all the ones you’ve installed have been placed by default at the end, but you don’t have to have them there. In fact, not only can you place them wherever you want, but you can also organize them by folder, such as “Streaming”, “Games” and more.
If you have an Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K you should follow these steps:
- With the Siri Remote, place it on top of the app you want to move.
- Press and hold until the apps start to shake.
- Using the trackpad on the Siri Remote, drag the apps around the screen. If you also want to create a folder, you’ll have to place the app icons just above others and you’ll see how a folder is automatically created to which you can drag all the apps you want.
It should be noted that once you have created the folders, you can modify their name by placing the Siri Remote on top of the name and clicking on it.
Remove apps from Apple TV
Like any other device, sometimes we install apps that we don’t use. Either because they take up too much space, because they don’t work properly or because they are not useful, we can uninstall them completely from tvOS in a really simple way. There are two different but equally effective methods to do this.
From the main screen
If you have an Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K , the process to follow from the main screen is as follows:
- Place the Siri Remote on top of the app you want to delete.
- Press and hold until the app icons start to shake.
- Press the “Play/Pause” button and click on the “Delete” option.
You’ll see that the onscreen context menu also lets you move the app to a folder and even create a new one with it, so these steps could also be used to move applications.
From the Settings app there is an option where you can delete applications, but it doesn’t really allow you to delete all of them but those that the device considers you might want to remove. The good thing about uninstalling from here is that you can see how much space each one is taking up.
- Open the Settings.
- Go to General , Manage Storage.
- You will now see a list of apps that you can delete. You can click on the trash can icon to delete it, but you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete it.
You’re probably wondering how to delete some native apps such as those in Apple Arcade or Apple TV+, but the truth is that they can’t be removed from your device. You can move them or create a folder for them so that they don’t get in your way if you don’t use them, but they will still have to be stored on your system.
Hide apps on Apple TV 3 and earlier
If you have an Apple TV of third generation or earlier, there is no way to uninstall apps on them. This is because you can’t install applications on them, but have to settle for the default ones. However, there is a way to at least hide these apps, which is not possible in later generations. To do this go to Settings> Applications and here you’ll find the options to keep certain apps hidden.