WhatsApp , the most widely used instant messaging platform worldwide that cost Facebook a whopping $19 billion, is one of the most popular applications today.
Most iOS and Android users have the WhatsApp app installed on their devices. However, there are some curiosities about WhatsApp that NOT everyone knows…
Here are the most surprising facts about the company WhatsApp, its developers, and its messaging platform.
1. 5 people achieved 1 billion downloads
WhatsApp’s messaging service reached 1 billion downloads on Android in March of last year, and the CEO said the WhatsApp team for Android consisted of 5 employees in total. Wow?
2. The co-founders were rejected by Facebook and Twitter
Both Jan Koum and Brian Acton, who worked at Yahoo, were rejected by Facebook and Twitter in their job interviews just before they created the most successful messaging application of the moment – good Facebook and Twitter, good!
3. You can use WhatsApp to compress images and videos
WhatsApp allows you to send photos and videos, then go into the Android folder or iOS albums to find the compressed versions.
4. WhatsApp creates accounts as [phone number]@s.whatsapp.net
The service uses the XMPP protocol developed by Jabber, so it uses the protocol ID in the form of [phone number]@s.whatsapp.net.
5. Type “whatsapp:/send?text=IPADIZE ME” in the browser
If you have WhatsApp installed on iOS and Android, you can type the code “whatsapp:/send?text=IPADIZE ME” into the address bar of your favorite web browser and WhatsApp will automatically open to ask you who the message is addressed to.
6. WhatsApp allows you to see if your messages have been read
WhatsApp provides users with different check symbols to let them know whether these messages have been read or not.
7. Text formats
WhatsApp also allows users to use different text formats such as bold, underline and strikethrough. You can find out more here.
How to change text formatting in WhatsApp:
8. No ads and no games!
Jan Koum, the CEO of WhatsApp, still has a note from his friend and co-founder Brian Acton that went like this: “No games, no ads, and no tricks! The guidelines for your messaging app to succeed.
9. Spain is the European country with the most use of WhatsApp
That’s right, in Spain we love to use WhatsApp, either to talk to our family or to meet our friends. 70% of users actively use WhatsApp.
10. Google was about to buy WhatsApp
Google could have beaten Facebook to buy WhatsApp, despite having its Hangouts app, Google could have left as much as $10 billion in the acquisition of the messaging platform, but the deal fell through.
- 1. 5 people achieved 1 billion downloads
- 2. The co-founders were rejected by Facebook and Twitter
- 3. You can use WhatsApp to compress images and videos
- 4. WhatsApp creates accounts as [phone number]@s.whatsapp.net
- 5. Type “whatsapp:/send?text=IPADIZE ME” in the browser
- 6. WhatsApp allows you to see if your messages have been read
- 7. Text formats
- 8. No ads and no games!
- 9. Spain is the European country with the most use of WhatsApp
- 10. Google was about to buy WhatsApp